Fire Safety: Drive by Authorities in Delhi to enforce fire safety
• Delhi Home Minister has ordered the Fire Department of Delhi to conduct inspection and to shutdown any facility violating the fire safety rules
• The order came after a coaching centre in Surat caught fire killing 22 people
• The Fire Department has served notices to several guest houses where negligence was observed
Compliance Takeaway: Wake up and follow Fire Norms before you lose your business either to government action or a Fire accident.
GST: The Supreme Court of India Rules no anticipatory bail for GST violators
• The Supreme Court of India (SC) has adjudicated that no anticipatory bail shall be granted to the violators of GST
• A Division Bench of the Telangana High Court had held on 18-Apr-2019 that under Section 69 (1) of the Central Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017, the Commissioner is empowered to arrest any GST violator and reject any interim relief for such violators.
• The Centre had appealed to the SC that GST officials weren’t police and thus were not required to follow the Criminal Procedure Code which mandates registration of an FIR before an arrest can be made
• However, the SC rejecting the appeal of the Centre has upheld the order of the Telangana High Court
Compliance Takeaway: Compliance breach pertaining to GST can now lead to prosecution. Every company should have a Finance Team well versed with the GST provisions and GST audits must be done appropriately.